Our goal is to ensure the success of every GSCS student. We have provided the following tools to strengthen your knowledge and sharpen your skills so that you are better equipped to overcome common online learning barriers. Browse our collection of online tips and guides to make the most of your online experience.
Tips for Success
Learning online requires a different set of skills than in a face-to-face class. There are many elements that contribute to one’s success.
- Online Readiness Quiz
- Behaviors of Successful Online Students
- Time Management Tips for Online Students
- Quick Start guide for Online Students*
- Technical Specifications
- FAQs for GSCS Online Learning
Course Access Guides
GSCS online courses utilize either Canvas or OWL-Space (a Sakai platform) as their learning management system (LMS) and Blackboard Collaborate, a web-conferencing platform, for live interaction. Below you will find helpful links for navigating both the LMS and web conferencing platform.
Canvas LMS “How-to”
Owl-Space LMS “How-to”
Blackboard Collaborate “How-to”
Note: The following applies to courses utilizing Blackboard Collaborate Web Conferencing
- Blackboard Collaborate Participant Orientation
- Install Blackboard Collaborate Launcher
- Blackboard Collaborate Reference Guide for Students
- Locate Blackboard Collaborate inside Canvas
- Locate Blackboard Collaborate inside OWL-Space
Can’t log in or get connected? Call or text the GSCS online help desk at 713-485-9801. Support is available Monday–Thursday, 9 a.m.–9 p.m., and Friday, 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. For general questions and non-emergency support, you can also email firstname.lastname@example.org.