Designing, Building and Remodeling Your Dream Home
A homeowner considering building a new home or undertaking a remodeling project faces a daunting number of decisions, from establishing a budget to selecting interior finishes. In this guide to design, new construction and remodeling, registered architect and interior designer Brent Nyquist will lead you through the process. You will acquire the tools necessary to manage your project successfully and to assess the role, value and quality of the professionals involved. You will also learn about new concepts in design and home building as well as practical solutions that will define living in the 21st century, including green design and construction and the components required to create a healthful and energy-efficient home environment.
Section Dates: Six Wednesdays, March 30-May 4, 10 a.m.-noon
Fee: If registering by March 16: $215 After March 16: $225 For Rice alumni: $203
Topics will include the following:
- Build, move or remodel: Evaluating your options
- Budgeting for your dream: Current construction costs
- Making plans: Working with an architect or designer
- Building materials, fixtures and finishes
- Foundation design for Houston and southeast Texas
- Selecting a quality builder or contractor
- The homeowner’s role in a successful building project
- Green building techniques and technologies
Brent Nyquist, a principal in the firm Atticus Architecture, is an interior designer and registered architect with 29 years of experience in residential design and construction. He holds a bachelor of arts and a bachelor of architecture degrees from Rice University.