About the Charles Butt Scholarship for Aspiring Teachers
The Charles Butt Scholarship for Aspiring Teachers consists of $8,000 in annual funding for up to four years, as well as ongoing training and development opportunities, mentorship from sitting public school educators, and participation in a statewide aspiring teachers network facilitated by the Raise Your Hand Texas Foundation.
Approximately 100 scholarships will be awarded through teacher preparation programs at 10 partner universities each year, with the cohort growing to include 500 scholars annually. The competitive selection process includes an application, pre-screening by university teams, and a daylong event consisting of a group activity, mock teaching lesson, and panel interview.
Criteria for Selection of Charles Butt Scholars
- Enroll or be enrolled full-time in a partner university program that will lead to a teaching certificate
- Be a Texas resident
- Have a strong academic record and history of achievement
- Have demonstrated peer or group leadership skills
- Demonstrate a commitment to pursuing a career in education in high-needs Texas public schools upon completion of the program
Rice Education Department Qualifying Programs
- Master of Arts in Teaching for New Teachers
- Undergraduate 5-year Master of Arts in Teaching
- Teacher Certification for Undergraduate Students
Support for Charles Butt Scholars
In addition to scholarship funding, the Raising Texas Teachers initiative will supplement the rigorous education scholars receive through partner programs by providing teacher candidates opportunities to benefit from ongoing professional development, mentoring and feedback from teachers and principals, and connections with fellow Charles Butt scholars across Texas.
This combination of education and supports is designed to ensure teacher candidates practice and develop pedagogical skills in authentic classroom settings, observe masterful teaching in action, reflect on feedback from expert teachers and school leaders, and participate in a community that fosters professional growth.
Charles Butt scholars must:
- Remain a full-time student enrolled in a program that will lead to a teaching certificate at one of the 11 partner programs;
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 grade point average;
- Participate in Raise Your Hand professional development activities;
- Receive a letter of recommendation for continuation from the IHE program leader each year; and
- Plan to teach in a high-needs classroom in a Texas public school upon completion of the program.
- September 17, 2018 - Application opens.
- January 15, 2019 - Application closes.
- March 2019 - Raise Your Hands Texas will notify you if you have been selected to move on to the final interview stage.
- March-April 2019 - Regional selection interviews conducted with scholarship finalists by Raise Your Hands Texas.
- Late April 2019 - Scholarship recipients notified by Raise Your Hands Texas.
How to Apply
Click here to apply for the Charles Butt Scholarship for Aspiring Teachers. This link will take you to the application platform.