Since its inception in 2005, the Rice MLS program has attracted a wide spectrum of students. Medical doctors, attorneys, homemakers, recent college graduates, retirees, teachers, a range of business professionals and others have been accepted into the program. Such diversity – in age and profession – adds a level of broad-mindedness not typically found in the traditional classroom.
In 2015, MLS celebrated a 15 year commitment to lifelong learning. View video here to see program highlights.
Participants study a wide range of academic subjects in small, intimate classrooms encouraging interactive thought and discussions.
The program seeks committed, energetic adult students with bachelor’s degrees from an accredited college or university, who have significant life experiences and who are able to communicate effectively.
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an accredited university or college. A minimum GPA of 3.0 from the applicant’s undergraduate work is expected, though the admissions committee also gives consideration to applicants’ postgraduate experiences and recent accomplishments. Because the MLS program is part-time only, international applicants requiring a student visa (F-1 or J-1) cannot enroll.
How to Apply
The following materials must be submitted by the application deadline to be considered for admission:
- Completed Application for Admission
- $85 non-refundable application fee, payable online
- Current resume
- Personal statement (Please review personal statement instructions before submitting your application.)
- Writing sample (Please review writing sample instructions before submitting your application.)
- Official transcripts from all previous colleges or universities attended, mailed directly to the Graduate Liberal Studies office
- Two letters of recommendation, each accompanied by a completed Letter of Recommendation form
- Application interview
All application documents, including resume, personal statement, writing sample, and letters of recommendation will be submitted online. Official transcripts must be mailed directly to the MLS program. Electronic transcripts are accepted and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application materials become property of Rice University and will not be returned.
Master of Liberal Studies - MS 550
6100 Main Street
Houston, TX 77005
- Spring 2020 Application deadline: October 15, 2019
- Fall 2020 Application deadline: May 1, 2020
To access the personal statement and writing sample information in a printable format, please download the MLS Application Instructions.